Friday, May 11, 2012

Fad Cooking

I only like to cook if I'm inspired.  I only get inspired a few times a year and when that happens I get in this huge kick of cooking all kinds of fun dishes.  The rest of the year I either force myself to cook something I consider boring or we have take out every night (usually the latter). Before the kiddos we would go weeks where we ate out every single night.

I'm currently on one of those rare cooking kicks thanks to a local CSA that we joined this year.   We are getting all kinds of veggies that we rarely eat and I never cook - beets, swiss chard, kale, kohlrabi, to name a few. 

I had never even heard of kohlrabi, but we roasted it and it was delicious.  I did not get a picture because we got hungry while cooking another dish that night and accidentally ate it all.  I used a variation of this recipe.

Our CSA goods from last week.  Can't wait to see what we get this week.

The same night we made the kohlrabi, we also made a kale, white bean, and italian sausage dish.  Mary Kathryn recommended it on her blog, an unlined page, and she was right - it was so good.  And really easy.  Our salad had romaine and spinach from the CSA also. (MK's photo of the kale dish is much better....I need to work on my presentation).
Left - salad with goat cheese, avocado, tomato.  Right - kale, white beans, and italian sausage.


Another night we had a spinach salad with roasted beets as well as avocado, goat cheese, and walnuts.  Beets and spinach from the CSA

You may see a trend with the goat cheese and avocado.  That is a lifelong kick that I am on 365 days a year. 

I also was able to use some of the spinach in a spinach dip for book club last week, and made some kale chips to snack on (got this idea from MK's as well).

This next picture has nothing to do with the CSA.  It just illustrates my current phase.  Rather than my normal mediocre prepacked breakfast, I'm actually making my own yogurt/fruit/granola to take to work each day. 


I really wish I would keep this up but I give it about another week before I move on to some other hobby I like to dabble in and out of once a year, like gardening or tennis.







 
  
              




1 comment:

  1. thanks for the shout out! I hope the meal was as liked at your house as it was at mine! Here's to CSA's and the cooking adventures they inspire!

    ReplyDelete